Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's time for a little higher thinking.

I was going through some of my old writings and found this.  It was at the beginning of my journey to a healthier life. Since then, I have dropped about 40 pounds and STILL have to remind myself daily of where I am and where I want to be.  I would like to point out that I no longer cry when shopping for clothes (usually)!

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” 

I heard this while watching a yoga documentary and it really hit home. Something keeps reminding me of this every so often. 
I used to enjoy the small things in life, camping, walking or riding my bike on the miles of trails in the state park near where I grew up, hell, just sitting outside under a tree on a nice day or watching a thunderstorm moving in. 

Little by little, I lost all those little enjoyments, there just never seemed to be time because I always think that if I am not out making money, if I am not working my ass off, not being productive or helping someone, then I must not be worth anything. 
The worst part is that even though I AM doing all those things, I let my weight, health, and enjoyment sit by the wayside until I am to the place I am in now. 


It's time for change.


No comments:

Post a Comment