Monday, November 11, 2013

Sweet Potato Tomatillo Soup

I am often inspired by prepackaged foods.  I try them, like them, and am usually horrified by the amount of salt and/or fat.  Sometimes, it takes me awhile to get up the courage to try and remake a recipe if it includes an ingredient that I am not familiar with, in this case it is the tomatillos.

As I was preparing all my veggies for roasting, I was surprised when I cut into the tomatillos...I knew they weren't the same as a tomato, but I was still surprised, haha!

Here is my version of Sweet Potato Tomatillo Soup.

4 tomatillos
2 medium size sweet potatoes
2 medium zucchini (peeled or not, it is your preference)
1 white onion
2 roma tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
4 cups low fat/low sodium chicken broth (you can also use vegetable broth if preferred)
olive oil
salt
white pepper
parsley
~preheat oven to 450


Chop onion and put in a medium sized saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil over low heat, just as teh onions are getting translucent and starting to caramelize, add the chopped garlic, cook for another minute, remove from heat and set aside.

Remove husks from tomatillos, wash all veggies and peel sweet potatoes

Cut Tomatillos and tomatoes into chunks, I just cut them into 6 wedges each 

Cut zucchini into chunks about 1-2 inches

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into two inch chunks

Coat vegetables in a tablespoon of olive oil and spread into a single layer on a foil lined sheet pan, bake on the center rack in a preheated 450 degree oven for 45 minutes

When the vegetables are done roasting, remove from baking sheet into a large mixing bowl, add the onion and garlic mixture.  Let cool for 5 minutes.  Using a hand mixer, blend all veggies until broken down.  The mixture will not be smooth...there is a lot of fiber in there!  You could use a blender for this and get it a lot smoother, but I prefer quite a bit of texture.

Move mixture from the bowl back into the saucepot, add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and parsley to taste. Heat over low until warmed back through, about 5 minutes.

This makes about 6 servings and it is great to have nice fresh soup on cold days!  It will freeze well also.
You can also spice this up by adding chili pepper or red pepper to taste.

I tried it out today with a little dollop of sour cream and it was super rich!




No comments:

Post a Comment